Could you imagine leaving your smartphone at home, on purpose? I couldn't. That would make me feel completely insecure, more so than even leaving without my wallet. Besides that, even if I did remember my smartphone, I would most likely be checking it more often than I even realized. Who knew a nice afternoon at the park would involve so much texting and “Facebooking”? A group of inventors wanted to challenge this smartphone addiction epidemic by putting up a crowdfunding campaign for their Light Phone device, a mobile phone that leaves the smarts and distractions away.
It's seriously just a mobile phone. It's incredibly slim and sleek, and at about the size of a credit card, Light Phone only receives calls and makes calls. This means no texting, emailing, (annoying) notifications, or anything else that keeps us disconnected from the real world. It simply transfers the phone calls from your smartphone to your Light Phone via companion app.
Light Phone measures just 3.4 x 2.0 inches, weighs just over an ounce, and features a white-on-white touchscreen, containing just a keypad and lock (Extreme Tech). It can last 20 days on a single charge, and only contains a SIM card slot for your contacts, and USB for charging.
It's essentially an extender to your smartphone, so no need to feel freaked out when leaving the home with just it. You really only need a phone for phone calls, right? Not in today's world, but, hopefully if you're on a big mountain hike or adventure with a friend, the Light Phone can keep your safety and peace of mind sustained. For $100, you can get the Light Phone via Kickstarter, with 500 minutes of pre-paid talk time (which should really last you a long time).
Read Related Articles
- How About This Adorable Raspberry Pi-Powered Mac Made From LEGOS?
- The HP 2017 Pavilion and Pavilion x360 Notebooks Are Budget-Friendly, and Better Devices Than Ever
- A New Smart-Home Assistant, Duo, Takes Your Commands in the Unique Form of a Mirror!
- The 2017 Apple IPad Is a Budget Model? We’ll Happily Trade the Sheer Thrills for Power and Price
- Intel’s Optane Memory Offers High-Octane Speed for Your PC at Under $100
- Hey! Samsung Made Dex, a Little Dock To Turn your S8 Into a Desktop!