How to identify beep codes:When a laptop or computer first powers on, it goes through an initial set of diagnostic tests to make sure vital components are preforming correctly. These tests are called POST or Power On Self Test. When a test fails, the user is notified via POST codes, Light codes, or Beep codes. For diagnosing Beep codes you need to:
- Power on the laptop or restart it if it is already on.
- Listen to the number of consecutive beeps when the computer begins to boot. Restarting the laptop may be necessary and should not harm the laptop at this time.
|Dell Studio 1557 Beep Codes|
|# of Beeps||Description||Possible Cause(s)|
|1||BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure||System board failure, covers BIOS corruption or ROM errors.|
|2||No Memory (RAM) detected||Memory or Memory slot failure|
||System board failure|
|4||Memory read / write failure||Memory failure|
|5||Real Time Clock (RTC) power fail||CMOS battery failure|
|6||Video BIOS test failure||Video subsystem failure|
|7||CPU Cache test failure||Processor failure or motherboard failure|
Most Common Fixes:
- 1 Beep: Replace the motherboard / system board.
- 2 Beeps: Reseat the memory or replace the memory.
- 3 Beeps: Replace the motherboard / system board.
- 4 Beeps: Reseat the memory or replace the memory.
- 5 Beeps: Replace the CMOS battery.
- 6 Beeps: Reseat or replace the video card or replace the motherboard / system board.
- 7 Beeps: Reseat or replace the CPU or replace the motherboard.
- 8 Beeps: Reseat the LCD cable or replace the LCD screen.
DIY Discount - Parts-People.com offers 5% off to all DO-IT-YOURSELFERS!
Use this coupon code to save 5% off these parts
Read Related Articles
- Hard Drive Formatting How To Guide
- Dell Studio 1555 / 1557 / 1558 LCD Back Cover Removal and Installation
- Dell Studio 1555 / 1557 / 1558 CPU Removal and Installation
- Dell Studio 1555 / 1557 / 1558 CPU Heatsink Removal and Installation
- Dell Studio 1555 / 1557 / 1558 Power Button and Cable Removal and Installation